Pages

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo

One day last week I looked out my bathroom window to see this little boy in this BIG ol' hat jumping on the trampoline. It was a sight. He had come in to the kitchen to get himself some water when I was able to get this picture. Collin claimed this hat which we have used for costumes and projects was keeping the sun out of his eyes. I couldn't help but laugh at that one!



I have really been trying to find some variety in healthy food lately. After 2 1/2 years on my journey to health I am growing bored with things I would eat all the time, day in and day out. Here are a few pictures of some new likes. First is a ground turkey lettuce wrap, it has a Asian taste to it and is good in either lettuce leaves or cabbage. Second is something I made for breakfast a toasted wheat sandwich thin and two chopped boiled eggs with light mayo, a little mustard and  pickle relish. So good and so filling. Lastly, pan roasted brussels sprouts. I cooked them in the toaster oven with some olive oil and salt and pepper. These are a new addition to my veggies and lucky for me no one else here eats them so I don't have to share!

The quality of these pictures are not the best but they are some pretty great photos Macy took. Last week I spent alot of time cleaning my closet out which explains the mess on the floor. These are jeans I used to wear. Three years ago they fit comfortably. Now I could get both my legs in 1 pant leg! I don't always see the difference because I am in this body day in and day out. I have looked at myself everyday and it's been a very slow progress through my eyes.  So many ways I feel the same as I always have. But these jeans are my reminder of where I was when this all started.

One thing about changing my lifestyle is that my entire family have had some lifestyle changes too. Because I am the Mom, the cook, the grocery shopper, the food in our house is overall healthier now. My kids have adjusted well without too much complaint. We hardly buy soda now, we reduced the sugar in the tea by a whole cup, we have wheat breads and pastas. There is a gray area in parenting about dealing with children and talking about weight. While you don't want them to obsess over it you also want them to be aware of it. I am proud to say we are all becoming more active. We recently decided to join the YMCA so the whole family can get moving together.
I was proud to have Macy and friend Kayla (aka Noodle) join me for my 5k last Saturday. I look forward to more runs with my children. The run was in honor of Carroll Crane the Mother of our friend Stephen who is in the blue shirt. It was great to run for a great cause!

My blogging as been on the back burner lately. Not because I don't have pictures to share or something funny or eventful wasn't happening around here but because I had grown bored with it. I have taken time off to think about where I want my little piece of cyber space to go. This is my story, my account of my day to day life and sometimes I shy away from posting things that may only be interesting to me or a handful of people.  Weight loss, food and exercise don't interest everyone but it's important to me and I really enjoy and learn from reading other blogs about this sort of thing.  Sometimes there are things going on my my kids I can't share online and it's frustrating to act like life is a bed of roses. The kids have a right to some privacy too so I must respect that. With that said my blog is going to be changing. It's going to be real life and my thoughts not just the milestones and occasions.  I am going into a new season of my life and I want the blog to come along with me. Be on the look out for a new look and new style and as I said my blog my way!  There is no suggestion box for complaints  but I am considering opening comments on each post.