Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Collin's Angel



Collin became fast friends with a little boy Grant in his preschool class last year. Collin talked about him all the time. We went to his awesome birthday party at the fire station last year. When we would see them out and about in town Collin would always be so excited he saw his buddy.

Around Christmas time we decided to part ways with preschool. Collin wasn't happy and I was tired of the fight. While Collin didn't miss school he did miss his friend. He would talk here and there about wanting to go back to see him.

Last Memorial Day his friend Grant passed away in a swimming accident. It was tragic,shocking and unimaginable. I got word of this and toyed with the idea on if telling my then 4 year old would be the right thing to do. I decided to not tell him as we didn't really have contact anymore.

But oddly enough in the last year Collin has not forgotten Grant one bit. He talks about him still. One day he asked me for a stamp and he was holding a few pieces of paper. I asked him what it was and he told me he was mailing Grant a letter and picture he drew of the 2 of them. Every time we pass the fire station he talks about that party and wonders how he is doing. Lately he talks and plays with an invisible friend and you guessed it he is named Grant. 

For Christmas last year the kids made these pictures at preschool . I have it hanging in my bathroom and when I pass by it I always think of Grant and his angel picture. I think about his parents and how heartbroken they must be and say a quick prayer for his family. I know one day the time will come to talk to Collin about his friend but I am pretty sure Collin has a special angel with him everyday and it's his good pal Grant.

As the one year mark draws near I pray the Lord comfort this little boys family and gives them a sense of peace. I know that is something only God can provide.