Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Better Than Hallmark

I stood in Walmart last week reading through countless Father's Day cards. First I looked at the serious sentimental type and then moved on to the jokey funny cards. Not one single card seemed to fit.

There wasn't a card thanking Dad for teaching a kid how to properly do a Rear Naked choke wrestling move. There wasn't a card showing gratitude for cleaning up a child's vomit in the middle of the night and sitting through hours of dance recitals. Nothing was mentioned about taking them camping when Dad isn't a outdoors man or the countless softball pitches thrown in spite of a good case of carpal tunnel and a bum shoulder.

I could have posted a dozen more picture of the kids with their Dad each one showing the love and commitment he offers to all of them equally. He didn't grow up dreaming of having a big family but he says he wouldn't change for the world now. My kids are blessed with a great Dad and I am lucky that I get to sit back witness the fun times they have together. There is no greater gift than time together it is priceless and I can see it in my children's faces daily. Thank you for everything you do Brian and Happy Father's Day.