Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Journey

 
What a powerful statement in the picture. This really is what the kind of mentality I strive for. Do I succeed everyday? No I do not. As a person who has been overweight most of her life it's no secret emotional eating was just what I did and I still battle it everyday.  Wow, so much to blog about today I will have to make it 2 post. My birthday boy deserves a post of his own to celebrate his 6th birthday. This post is about my journey and the upcoming big event, in just 5 days. 
This weeks training schedule is ridiculously light such today's schedule is 15 minutes of running. That seems almost laughable and not worth the effort of getting dressed to go run. I am going to do that 15 minutes of running and then work on my lap swimming and changing lanes . My weekend workouts were non existent and I am missing my me/music/ sweating time. Yesterday I did chores at the house and just felt drained. I really had intended to make it to workout but it didn't happen so today it will happen. 
As for the triathlon I feel ready. I have everything I need or what I think I need and I feel confident. This is a learning experience, and I am sure next week I will have learned even more about myself and how triathlons work. I will be able to review my training schedule and give it an honest look if I could have improved it. And share with you my next big goal.

Weight and fitness is such a weird thing. I always thought it only involved me . When I didn't take care of myself I was convinced then it was only hurting me and I was okay with that. When I started to improve my fitness and health it too only involved me. I was of the mindset  my effort, my time, my sweat, my commitment. But that is untrue it effects those who are apart of your life too. There are good points and bad to both and that is tricky to deal with. I promise you I must have missed this message in every weight loss and fitness article I have ever read. I do try to be considerate of other people feelings and personal struggles. I do not want to come across braggy and a know it all . Having a hey, look at me I'm awesome attitude that people roll their eyes at. It's just not me. So I pretty much have done my thing. Not broadcasting it to the world not really feeling like it needed any attention still thinking my body, my sweat , my business. Sometimes people would ask and inquire and I'd share just enough to answer then drop the topic. Sometimes people would make comments in a negative tone about my change of  priorities, jokes about me "being a runner" and that did sting a little. I'm still not sure how is the best way to handle this but I tried to do it as delicately as I could and it still hurt people I care about. Like I said it's tricky.

But there has been some great family support too.  I am a lucky one that my Husband has been my #1 cheerleader. He has listen to my struggles , he has offered a shoulder to cry on and often practiced some tough love to push me. When I brought up the idea of triathlon he was willing to do whatever I needed . He has coached me , timed me, helped me order everything I have needed, and reassured me 1,000 times that I can do this.  I am lucky to have him in my corner cheering me on and words can never express how grateful I am just knowing he is there.

I'm not an expert but I have learned alot. I do read a good bit on weight loss and fitness and try out different things myself. I have gone from an obese person to normal bmi. I have gone from huffing and puffing just walking 1 mile to attempting and God willing completing a triathlon . It's not a miracle, it's all about just making changes and goals that I can live with for the rest of my life. I still have things I want to work on , I still have things I do not like about my body that I want to tone up. There are goals I still want to reach for myself . I have accepted this journey never ends it will be this way for as long as I live. 

My future plans involve helping others just like me. I have already been asked to make a video for my Boot camp with my before pictures and now wearing my old size 22 jeans. I have been contacted about possibility of leading a beginner boot camp for those just starting out .Also a small local gym has told me they would love to have me come train for them and to let them know when I am ready.  I am looking into becoming a certified personal trainer . Not only will I have my own experience to help others but I will have book knowledge to back it up. This is all in addition to keeping up my own goals and workouts but things are starting to fall in place for this future career.

Exciting yet scary. I'm not a perfect person and I don't have every answer but I have a compassion for those who want to live a healthy life. Those people who see the big picture, the ones not about a number on the scale or dress size but those are great victories too . The people who get real and own up to their excuses and know that working hard does pay off. It won't be instant and there will be bad days but you pick yourself up and keep moving forward.  All of it done with a pay it forward mentality. Anything worth having is worth working for!

"I choose to be healthy, to grow stronger, to be alive as long as I possibly can"