Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

I did it!

If you would have told me 3 years ago I would be apart of a triathlon I would have busted out laughing. But yesterday I sprinted across the finish line of my very first one. I had a blast and really can't wait to do it again! Maybe that seems alittle crazy to immediately think that but it was the first thought I had.These were the thoughts running through my mind....Wow I did it!!!! Wow!!! It was so fun!! Man, it's already over?? I wonder when I can do another one?


Let's back up to getting there----

We left Birmingham a little after 10 with Mom and Dad in caravan behind us. Us being Brian,Logan,Macy and myself with my trusty bike on the back of Brian's car. With a stop for lunch and gas we made it into Knoxville, TN around 4 to pick up my race packet, just having my race number in hand started my excitement. It was off to the hotel to check in and we wasted no time checking out the location of the pool, the bike course and the run path. I really wanted to go see where all this would be happening. With the pool just 1 1/2 miles away and knowing I have not really exercised since Wednesday we decided to just walk over and check it out. Mom and Macy went along too. It was nice to stroll the campus and just get out and move after the long car ride. We made it to the pool area, we discussed the bike path but decided to come back and travel it by car later on the way to dinner. Time to head back to the hotel to cleaned up for dinner. On our way to the restaurant  we traveled the bike course by car , and there it was the 2 dreaded hills at the end. I knew this would be the hardest part of the race for me but I knew I had it in me to overcome.

The morning of-----


I actually went to sleep pretty easily before everyone else. I had not slept well the night before and I made sure to have no caffeine so that I was not wired. With a prime rib and baked potato filling (pre race treat) my belly coupled being tired from traveling I was off to dreamland . I woke up to Logan's school alarm going off on his phone and laid there a minute. I was excited to get up and get this day started so I made my way to the shower. I thought the others would get moving as I showered but when I returned they were all still nestled in their beds. With 30 minutes till our set leave time I got everyone up and hurried them along. We got to the race area and unloaded and set up.  Brian and I went over my bike making sure the air and gears were where I needed them. I had my things all laid out ready for a smooth transition. I was marked with my race number on my arms and my age on the back my right leg. My race anklet on my left leg and I was starting to get even more excited. I did get in the pool for some warm up. Brian and I discussed possibly doing a flip-turn lane change that I saw some other people practicing. I did a few laps and even practiced the flip-turn. I could do it but it did take more thought and breath. I decided to just do what felt right in the moment. Time passed quickly and before I knew it the racers were moving to the pool deck to begin.


*The start -Swim 12 laps with lane changes*


 The staggered swim start seemed to take forever. Basically it was left to the racers to figure out who started where based on time. With over 200 people you just do the best you can and get into a jumbled line and hope for the best. While we waited I chit-chatted with another group of women who have each done several triathlons and road races . They all admitted biking was their strong point and swimming their least favorite. Out of the group I went first on the swim as it is a strong point for me.  My nerves  about the swim were calmed as I looked toward the pool I saw some people struggling with the swim. The swim that I considered easy. As I inched closer and closer to the start I was just excited and ready to get my race going. I gave my family one last thumbs up and it was RACE TIME!

You had to jump into the water feet first when you were told to start. I was in and swimming feeling great. I went with the lane change of touch and dip under the rope. It worked out just fine and I quickly found myself passing people. Passing people felt pretty weird but empowering too. Before I knew it I was on my last lap and swimming toward the pool exit. I did my swim in 6:01 which was better that we had thought I would do. Once you left the pool you ran up to the bike station.


*The bike-7 miles with 2 hills to conquer twice*

I did my transition as quickly as I could and got on my bike and out on the course. I was feeling good and ready to get the dreaded bike part behind me. The start of the bike went well. It was fairly flat and I was doing just fine. I did good on the downhill portions , not feeling the need to brake too much on the turns all in all I was doing well feeling confident . The camelback water pack was a lifesaver and I was very happy I had it. I passed a few people and I was being passed too, by  1/2 way thru the first lap I was passed by some of the girls I had been talking with before the swim. Then came the big hill. I think I was in the wrong gears and I was really struggling. I was about half way up the hill when my left calve cramped up. I tried to keep peddling but it wasn't helping. I jumped off my bike and pushed it up the hill a few feet. I was talking to myself saying get the cramp out and get back on and ride it out! Before I crested the hill I got on and peddled to the top and the it was the smaller hill next. I made it up the smaller hill to complete my first lap. I saw and heard my family cheering me on and it gave me a bit of a boost.I knew the next few miles were the easy part of the bike so I relaxed alittle. I enjoyed this part of the ride. I knew I had lost some ground on that hill but I was just doing the best I could. I told myself this is about doing not winning, get your head right. I found myself smiling as I was riding past the river front and just feeling happy I really was half way done with my first triathlon! Before I knew it there was the dreaded hill AGAIN! I started up feeling better this time, probably in a better gear for a hill too. Around half way up I was struggling but digging deep. I put my foot down to the ground and pushed myself a for a few pushes. And I said aloud Okay, you are almost there DIG, come on almost done. And I did just that I peddled for all I had in me and I made it without getting off the bike at all. I took the smaller hill to the bike transition and then it was time to get running. My bike time was 38.13.

*The Run-3 miles with several hills*

After the bike I was almost thrilled to be running. I know running, running is familiar. I didn't have any  fear  about the run and needed it to stretch out the cramp I got on the bike. I threw on my running hat and grabbed my water and was on my way. I was jogging at first when I found my breathing too fast. I took a short walk break and calmed my breathing and took in some water. Then it was back to running. I passed a few people. I heard words of encouragement from other racers such as looking strong and doing good. I don't recall responding to any of these except with a smile or nod.  I just keep running, I wish I had more indication of time or my distance. I felt alittle out of sorts just following the path signs with no idea where I was or what my pace was (it felt really slow to me). I did take a few small walk breaks but they were short and then I was off running again. When running I felt like I was running so very slow, when I wanted so badly to sprint but with no real idea how much further I didn't want to go all in too quickly. Then finally I heard someone say 1/2 a mile left . I was surrounded by a few people and we all turned it up a notch knowing the finish was closer. I ran as quickly as my tired jello legs would let me. I saw my kids on my right side and it was the push I needed to sprint up the small hill to the finish. My Dad was in sight when I made my way up the hill and  it fueled me as I kept running all the way in to the finish line. I crossed the finish line and my name and my hometown was announced over a loud speaker. It was such a cool feeling almost surreal! My run time was 31.43.

I hugged my family, kissed my coach and downed a bottle of water. I had just done something that I at one point in my life I could not have done. I had stared down my fear (the bike), I had built up my endurance and rocked one portion (the swim) and I had pretty much just kept moving forward without too much thought on the last leg (the run).  The event I had trained for and looked forward to for so long was over and done . Wow, what a great feeling!

I will do it again! I will become better at the bike. I want to do the same race next year and laugh at those hills as I soar up them on my bike. This was just a beginning and I think it was a GREAT beginning. I am happy with the fact I set my mind to it, I overcame obstacles and I completed it . I wasn't the fastest or the slowest. I wasn't the most in shape or the most out of shape competitor. I wasn't the best swimmer,biker or runner. But I am a TRIATHLETE and nothing or no one can take that away from me.


I encourage everyone to make a goal and work hard to achieve it. It is the best feeling in the world!

Thank you all for the encouragement, the love and support has been more than I could ever dream of. All of you who sent me a text , email and facebook comment helped fuel me when I had any small moment of doubt. I am so grateful for each and every one of you guys. I am so very blessed!