Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

My day at Court

Late July I received a white official looking paper in the mail from our county tell me I have been lucky enough to be picked for jury duty. Oh boy, I thought and read the note carefully until I got down to the date. The date was the first day of school and I needed to be there at 8 am sharp. I called right away and spoke with a nice lady explaining that the first day of school was really just out of the question for me. So she agreed and told me she would send me another notice at a later date. Here I was feeling let off the hook until the first of September when I got my next notice. RATS!

Today was jury duty day. I was so nervous that I would forget I told everyone to remind me and I had the slip posted on the fridge. I asked around about what to expect and even did a google search on how it would all go down. I packed my purse with a water bottle , special K bar, a book and magazine. I dressed nice more business like than usual thinking to myself while looking in my closet if I get picked and this drags out I will for sure run out of clothes.But I looked at this as an adventure and off I went in the pouring rain to the courthouse.

Once arriving I took note of my mileage because we were asked to fill that in on the form, it was 28 miles there. I found the second floor and went into the courtroom, headed up to the desk where 2 women sat taking names and collecting forms. The place was full and I was about 10 minutes early. I know that's surprising.

A lady came in with a 2 year old on her hip and everyone giggled thinking how she really must not have wanted to be there so she brought her excuse with her. I was sitting by 2 men and a middle aged lady. We made idle chit chat as we waited for the Judge. Finally the Judge came in, older man who seemed nice but rambled on and on. He got to the part about people coming up to the bench that needed to ask to be excused and a line quickly formed of about 30 people. This took 20 minutes for each person to approach the Judge to tell their reason. After this he let all those people go and then read a list of names for people to go with another Judge to a different room. I was one of the names called with about 40 others, we went out in a hallway where we were told we could leave the case had been settled.He told us it was a criminal man slaughter case and it often takes getting a jury together to get them to settle.

We were told we could go to the clerk to get our check of $10.00 and 5 cents a mile for our expenses but they asked if we would possibly wave this payment due to low funding. As we left out of the hallway headed to the parking lot the Judge shook our hands and thanks us for coming.He repeated the thing about stopping by the clerk desk and I told him it was okay I would have paid them for letting me go home early if that would have been an option. And he laughed as he shook my hand.

Honestly it was interesting and I am glad I have done it. Here's hoping they won't need my services for some time but if they do I will be way more relaxed next time.