Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The pumpkin man

I wanted to add a picture to this but I can't seem to get it scanned. Just a post will have to do for now.

During this season there are alot of memories that come to mind about my Pawpaw. Just the other day as I was walking the neighborhood I noticed someone had made a pumpkin man that was sitting in their yard. I got alittle choked up  behind my sunglasses. I started thinking about Pawpaw and his tradition of making a  halloween pumpkin man every year. Oh how I miss Pawpaw so much and the fall and holiday season brings back those feelings.

He loved the holidays and would be so excited over them. He was almost like a kid about the presents and the yummy food. His holiday spirit was contagious and he would be so happy over receiving just  a simple can of his favorite peanuts or bag of candy as a gift.

I like to tell Collin stories of my Pawpaw. Collin was named Humphrey after  him and I want him to understand just what an honor that is. It warms my heart that Collin has some  traits of Pawpaw like his ears and seems to be interested in fishing, camping and likes tinkering with stuff too.

I am happy to have these memories of him but in my heart there's a small ache wishing all my kids got to enjoy his company during this time of year. I have never seen a grown person so full of cheer like he always was and it's something I never forget.