Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Howdy from California


I feel like I am living out the story of one of my favorite childhood books where the Country Mouse visits the city. In the story the mouse in awe of the sights,sounds and smells of the big city. So Brian and I headed out to California on Tuesday morning. Brian has one of his yearly conferences in San Jose and I was lucky enough to tag along. (Insert many many thanks to Doron, Mimi,Maw,Kristi for playing nanny for us. You guys rock and we are very grateful!)

So the flight on Tuesday was long. The first leg was from Birmingham to Las Vegas was 4 hours. We were almost the last to board and the plane was packed. Being Southwest we had no assigned seats so we took what we could. I was sandwiched between a business man who looked like Willy Wonka and a old Asian lady with horrible breath. People who know me well know I have a super sniffer and if something stinks I am usually not shy about calling it out. Poor lady kept wanting to talk to me and between the breath and her accent I couldn't face her in order to understand her so I just nodded in hopes that I didn't agree to something really bad. Do you have any idea how hard it is to not touch people on either side for 4 hours while trying to either mouth breathe or either not breathe in too deeply so you don't have to smell? Oh yes it was a long long ride.

I bolted off that plane ASAP and waited in the concourse for Brian to join me. I could tell as soon as his face appeared his seat situation must have been as uncomfortable as mine. He was squished in the middle seat between a large old man gambler and a sprawled out business man that wiggled alot. So the flight from Vegas to San Jose was a dream , not only did we sit together we had an empty seat next to us so we could relax alittle.

I have never been to California before so I am really enjoying the new surroundings. I am pretty amazed by the flowers,trees ,brown grass, and the beautiful hills and valleys. The beach blew me away with the rocks,cliffs and the freezing cold blue water with huge waves. The people in general seem nice, sorta hippie-ish but diverse too. I got a kick out of this man sitting indian style in front of the grocery store with a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter making himself a sandwich on the sidewalk, Oh and it was night time so not your typical picnic time of day where I come from. He didn't appear to be homeless but I guess he was hungry. I seemed to be the only passerby who noticed or found it funny. I wanted to take a picture but Brian said No,:( darn. Haha!

Anyways we're having a good time and I will be posting pictures soon. I am missing the kids but they are having a good time with out us I am sure. Hard to believe we are 2 weeks away from school starting . Wow!